World News

Israel says Hamas leader Yahya Sinwar, architect of October 7, killed in Gaza – National

US President Joe Biden called Thursday a “good day” for the world after Israel notified US officials of killing top Hamas leader Yahya Sinwar in Gaza.

Sinwar has been described as the mastermind behind last year’s Hamas attack on Israel that killed 1,200 people and fueled regional tensions.

“Immediately after the October 7 massacre, I ordered Special Operations personnel and our intelligence experts to work with their Israeli counterparts to help locate and track down Sinwar and other Hamas leaders hiding in Gaza. “With our intelligence assistance, the IDF chased the leaders of Hamas, took them out of their hiding place and forced them to flee,” Biden said in a statement.

“Today, however, proves once again that no terrorist in the world can escape justice, no matter how long it takes.”

Sinwar has been at the top of Israel’s most wanted list since the attack, and his killing comes as a blow to the militant group. There was no immediate confirmation from Hamas of his death.

The story continues below the ad

Biden said a DNA test confirmed Sinwar’s death, while the military said the body was among three hostages killed on Wednesday during operations in Gaza.

“To my friends in Israel, this is undoubtedly a day of relief and remembrance, similar to the scenes seen across the United States after President Obama ordered the raid on Osama Bin Laden in 2011,” Biden added.

“Israel had every right to eliminate the leadership and military structure of Hamas. Hamas cannot do another October 7.”


Click to play video: 'Hamas appoints conspirator on October 7 as new leader in direct accusation of Israel'


Hamas appoints suspected October 7 diplomat as new leader in direct rebuke to Israel


Foreign Minister Israel Katz called the killing “a military and moral achievement for the Israeli army,” adding that it would create “opportunities for the immediate release of the hostages.”

In his statement, Biden said he will be speaking with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and other leaders to congratulate them and discuss how to return the hostages to their families “and end this war once and for all.”

The story continues below the ad

Netanyahu, delivering his speech in Jerusalem, said Sinwar’s death offers an opportunity for peace in the Middle East, but warned that the conflict is not over and Israel will continue until its captors return.

Get the day's top news, politics, economics, and current affairs, delivered to your inbox once a day.

Get daily world news

Get the day’s top news, politics, economics, and current affairs, delivered to your inbox once a day.

“Today we settled the scores. Today, the evil has been resolved but our work is not yet complete,” he said in a recorded statement. “To the dear families of the hostages, I say: this is an important moment in the war. We will continue full force until all the ones we love, the ones we love, are home. “
Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau also commented on Sinwar’s death, saying it brought “a measure of justice” to his victims and families.


“Sinwar’s death ends the reign of terror. “Hamas must lay down its arms, release its hostages, and play no future role in the governance of Gaza,” Trudeau said in the X post. “We repeat our call for an immediate end. The suffering in Gaza must end.”

Sinwar was one of the main architects of the Hamas attack on Israel on October 7, 2023, and Israel has vowed to kill him since the beginning of their revenge campaign in Gaza. He has been the top leader of Hamas inside the Gaza Strip for years, closely linked to its military wing while building its power dramatically.

An Israeli security official said it appeared that the man, identified as Sinwar, had been killed in combat, not in a targeted attack.

The story continues below the ad

Pictures circulating online showed the body of a man who looked like Sinwar with an open head wound, wearing a military vest, partially buried in the rubble of a demolished building. A security official confirmed that the photos were taken by Israeli security officials at the scene. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because of the ongoing investigation.

Israel’s N12 news site said Sinwar appeared to have been accidentally killed in Wednesday’s battle. It is said that the soldiers followed a group of soldiers into the building, then attacked the soldiers by setting fire to the tank, causing the building to collapse. As the soldiers exhumed the dead soldiers, they noticed that one looked like Sinwar.

Sinwar was imprisoned by Israel from the late 1980s until 2011, and during that time he was being treated for brain cancer – leaving the Israeli authorities with many medical records.

US officials have been in contact with Israeli officials throughout Thursday morning, according to a senior administration official.

Sinwar was appointed as Hamas’ top leader in July after his predecessor, Ismail Haniyeh, was killed in an Israeli strike in the Iranian capital, Tehran. Israel also claimed to have killed the head of Hamas’ military wing, Mohammed Deif, in an airstrike, but the group said he survived.

The news of his death came as Israeli forces continued more than a week of air and ground attacks on the Jabaliya refugee camp in northern Gaza. On Thursday, an Israeli airstrike hit a school sheltering displaced Palestinians, killing at least 28 people, according to the Hamas-run Gaza Health Ministry.

The story continues below the ad


Click to play video: 'Israeli airstrike hits tents of displaced Gazans at Al-Aqsa Hospital'


An Israeli airstrike hit the tents of Gazans who left their homes at Al-Aqsa Hospital


Fares Abu Hamza, head of the Gaza Health Ministry’s emergency department in the north, said the dead included a woman and four children, correcting an earlier report of five children. He said a lot of people were injured.

The Israeli military said it targeted a command center run by Hamas and Islamic Jihad inside the school. It provided a list of names of about a dozen people it identified as soldiers who were present when the strike was called.

Israel has repeatedly attacked tents and schools sheltering displaced people in Gaza. The Israeli military says it carries out direct strikes against terrorists and tries to avoid harming civilians, but its strikes often kill women and children.

Israel launched its operation in Gaza to eliminate Hamas after the militants stormed southern Israel on October 7, 2023, killing about 1,200 people, most of them civilians, and kidnapping about 250 people. About 100 hostages are still inside Gaza, about a third of whom are believed to be dead.

The story continues below the ad

Israel’s offensive has killed more than 42,000 Palestinians, according to the Gaza Health Ministry. It does not distinguish between civilians and combatants but says women and children make up slightly more than half of the dead.


Click to play video: 'US gives Israel ultimatum: boost humanitarian aid to Gaza or lose military funding'


US gives Israel ultimatum: boost humanitarian aid to Gaza or lose military funding


Northern Gaza was the first target of Israel’s attacks in the world almost a year ago and has been devastated by the current war, as all neighborhoods in Gaza City and other cities have been reduced to rubble. Most people fled after Israel issued evacuation orders in the early days of its military campaign, but around 400,000 are believed to have remained in dire conditions.

Earlier this month, Israel again ordered the evacuation of many people in the north, and did not allow food aid to enter the area for nearly two weeks. That has led many Palestinians to fear that they have adopted the surrender or starvation strategy advocated by former Israeli generals.

The story continues below the ad

Israel allowed two aid shipments into the north earlier this week after the United States warned it could cut its military aid if its ally does not do more to address the humanitarian crisis.

Since the start of the conflict, Israeli forces have repeatedly launched operations in Jabaliya, a refugee camp with a large urban population dating back to the 1948 war surrounding Israel’s creation. The military says the militants have regrouped several times there after major campaigns.

-via files from the Associated Press




Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button