Baerbock warns of collapse in Lebanon as Germany pledges €60m in aid
Germany is pledging an extra 60 million euros ($64.7 million) in aid to Lebanon, as Foreign Minister Annalena Baerbock warns that a conflict between Israel and Hezbollah could lead to the country’s “total disintegration”.
German Chancellor Olaf Scholz announced the support Wednesday night when he spoke with Lebanese Prime Minister Najib Mikati, according to government spokesman Steffen Hebestreit.
Baerbock visited Beirut on Wednesday, warning of dire consequences for the Middle East if the conflict between Israel and the Iran-backed Hezbollah militia continues to escalate.
“The complete collapse of the country would kill the religiously divided society in the Middle East, and the entire region,” Baerbock said in the Lebanese capital before talks with Lebanese politicians and aid agencies.
The visit, which was previously unannounced for security reasons, was Baerbock’s first trip to Lebanon since Israel escalated its conflict with Hezbollah in September, launching a ground offensive in southern Lebanon and a wave of airstrikes on Beirut in the country’s most significant war since the war. 2006.
The Israeli campaign has killed hundreds of Lebanese and forced hundreds of thousands to flee southern Lebanon.
It has intensified in recent days, with massive missile strikes on Hezbollah targets in Beirut.
Baerbock said in Beirut that Israel’s campaign had “succeeded in significantly weakening the Hezbollah terrorist organization.”
He was due to proceed to Paris to participate in an international aid conference in Lebanon on Thursday, which will focus on providing aid to the war-torn Lebanese and rebuilding the country into a stable and functioning state.
Participants include Lebanon’s international partners, the UN, the European Union, and various regional organizations and civil society organizations.
“We now need to work with our partners in the US, Europe and the Arab world to find a viable solution that protects the legitimate security interests of Israel and Lebanon,” Baerbock said.
The minister said that the key to peace is in the UN Security Council Resolution 1701, which states that Hezbollah has withdrawn from southern Lebanon to protect the citizens of northern Israel.
The Lebanese army – which has tried to stay neutral in the conflict between Israel and Hezbollah – has an important role to play in strengthening the decision, Baerbock said, ahead of talks with its commander-in-chief, Joseph Aoun.
A strong schedule of meetings
Amid repeated Israeli strikes on the Lebanese capital in recent days, Baerbock’s visit followed a strict schedule, with the exact times and locations of his meetings communicated to Israel in advance.
He first met with the speaker of the Lebanese parliament, Nabih Berri, who appears to be close to Hezbollah.
At the Lebanese Red Cross, he was briefed by aid workers, who said they had recently been criticized despite announcing when they would be deployed.
In a statement, Baerbock emphasized that the humanitarian situation is getting worse in Lebanon amid the ongoing wars.
He criticized “the way terrorists hide without regard for civilians and continue to fire rockets at Israel,” while demanding that Israel respect international humanitarian law and protect the innocent.
He also stressed that the UN peacekeepers must be protected, after several attacks on the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL) which were allegedly carried out by Israeli forces in recent weeks.
“Any deliberate attack on UN troops is a violation of international humanitarian law,” he warned.
Baerbock later held a video call from the German embassy in Beirut with UNIFIL chief Aroldo Sáenz and Richard Kesten, the German admiral in charge of the UNIFIL naval force.
Baerbock seeking help in northern Gaza, securing weapons from Israel
Baerbock also called on the Israeli government to allow more humanitarian aid to northern Gaza, as he defended the continued delivery of weapons to Israel.
Germany’s foreign minister said the situation “especially in northern Gaza is getting worse by the day” amid the new Israeli offensive.
Northern Gaza has been cut off for 19 days, Baerbock said, with humanitarian aid “only coming in.”
Earlier this year, the Israeli government promised to “flood” the Gaza Strip with aid, Baerbock recalled. “This aid must reach Gaza,” he emphasized.
“There is an obligation under international law to provide humanitarian aid,” he added.
He also highlighted the decision of the International Court of Justice that Israel must provide aid to the citizens of Gaza.
“This order binds Israel, to its government, under international law,” he stressed.
However, Baerbock emphasized that Germany continues to support Israel “including with weapons” its right to self-defense.
All arms deliveries are subject to international humanitarian law, he added.
“The Israeli government is responsible for ensuring that international humanitarian law is respected,” the minister said.
Source link